Wednesday, February 11, 2009

something clever

The fact that half the languages will be gone in a hundred years. What if Italians stop speaking Italian... well if you believe that cultural identity is important, then that would be a catastrophe. Language is one of the most easily identifiable part of any culture. Accents are a huge for identity on where your from. I'm from Michigan, Born and raised in the city and even thirty minutes outside the city there is a rural michigander accent being spoken. You don't really notice it that much if you come from outside of michigan but its there. If they stopped speaking that accent it wouldn't be the end of their culture but thats because they will most likely blend into another culures accent. I think thats what other language and culture will end up doing, it might be the end of one but the old culture will still interwind itself into the new. Thats not bad, thats what the united states is supposed to be right? I still celebrate my polish roots, don't speak polish at all, rarely ever hear it unless my mom stubs her toe or something and she starts cursing in languages i've never heard of. Well, I guess I'm saying languages might die of but their culture won't ever go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment