Wednesday, February 4, 2009

in the bush

Reading this passage, and the other posts so far, its rather apparent that the Tiv people show naive realism. But so do the author and her english buddy who gave her hamlet. He stated that Shakespeare is relative to everyone, which proven in this this piece is very untrue. Even the author believed that Hamlet would translate to everyone at first. She was quickly corrected by the tribesman. They couldn't even understand the concept of ghosts, which is a very common myth in our own culture. But I got a kick out of is when she first started telling the story the Tiv people saw Hamlet as the wrong doer and she had to do quite a bit of thinking to get them to think otherwise and then how the elder goes and tells her the ending, I enjoyed that so much I made my room mate read it. But going back to my point of naive realism, in the passage one of the elders even says that they are not that much different from Europeans, but he was referring to hamlets uncle marrying his mom which is big taboo for us and not so much for them.
Don't know if this is what we are supposed to write about, I guess I'll find out in a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment