Tuesday, February 24, 2009

gifts are free if I dont feel like giving back

Whenever you receive a gift do you feel obligated to give as well? I do. On the other hand do we give gifts with the intention of the other person reciprocating the exchange? I don't. To ask if a gift is free is a weird question and I never really thought about before. I have given gifts and been bummed when the person didn't even reciprocate with what I thought was a proper praise or thank you. So in turn the thanks for a gift is as important as the equal return of giving a gift. Some gifts to the right person are free as well as from them are free. A loved one gives you a gift and you know that they are not expecting anything in return, just the same someone who knows you and that you would give a gift without wanting in return. I prefer to give gifts at random times when they aren't expected because the person receiving the gift seems more pleased and gracious, yet confused and appreciative. In my eyes I can give a gift for free without wanting anything in return except for praise or thanks, so maybe it's not free. Does the expectations of thanks make the gift less "free", perhaps? However it goes I don't really know if a gift can be considered free unless you truly expect nothing from the recipient.

I have a friend from Sweden who gives gifts but refuses to be there to give them to the person. She claims it's because she doesn't want the feeling of thanks or reciprocation to be obligated. Maybe i should follow her lead and go about gift giving in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment