Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free Gift? Nah...

I've had some theories about gift giving in the past couple of years. Now, when I give a gift to someone, (and when I say that I mean that I just felt like giving them something. Not for their Birthday, Christmas, Valentines or any other white person holiday that doesn't mean shit) I don't expect them to reciprocate. That, to me, defeats the purpose of being a gift rather than an exchange. That's why I've had problems with the concept of Christmans gifts and birthday gifts. We aren't giving each other gifts, we're exchanging and competing. I just think it's extremely silly and in the past couple years I've done much less of the holiday gifts and more of the random ones. This article does well at explaining the cycle and process of gift "giving".

1 comment:

  1. I agree with how you feel about gift giving, it's so over rated to give gifts on made up holidays that really mean nothing. I do feel obligated some times when receiving a gift from someone that I know doesn't really want to give the gift without wanting one in return. There is that whole "Pure gift" thing like the husband that buys his wife flowers and expecting sexual services in return. There's also the rule that every gift had to be retuned in some specified way sets up a perpetual cycle of gift exchanges within and between generations.

    ReplyDelete