Sunday, April 19, 2009

My own rite of passage

When I was a child I was raised in the Mormon Church and subsequently left at the age of 18. However one rite of passage that stands out to me from my childhood is of the baptism. The Mormon church does their baptism at the age of 8, after they believe a child knows the difference between right and wrong.

In the first phase, people withdraw from the group and begin moving from one place or status to another. So in this case the child would know already what baptism is and start to become ready for it nearing their eighth birthday. Really its more of a mental thing than a physical one in this rite, and for an 8 year old it isn't really that substantial. However adults that convert go through the same process no matter the age so it can become more meaningful I guess the older you convert.

The next phase is one of cutting oneself off or being detached from the former self, in this case its as simple as maybe acting older or if an adult, dropping a long held habit of smoking or drinking perhaps.

The third phase of reentering the society happens after the actual baptism in water and the child is blessed with the holy spirit. They are now back in the society as a full member of the church.

Looking back at this ritual after leaving the church for 5 years I can see it more as a ritual based on many old beliefs. I guess I see it as an outsider now instead of an insider, and there is quite a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment