Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Who are we to judge?

In the Middle East, the veil and purdah are symbols that represent their cultural beliefs. It represents restriction in men and women's behavior, social status, protection of women from outside the home, religion sanction, conceals identity, and signals, "Hands off! Don't touch me or you'll be sorry." Recently there has been a resurgence of the veil in several Middle Eastern societies. It may not mean anything to westerners, but to men and women in the Middle East it is a custom that women have gone through throughout history. Nouha al Hejelan, wife of the Saudi Arabian ambassador to London stated, "If I wanted to take it all off [the abayah and veil], I would have long ago. It wouldn't mean as much to me as it does to you." There is not only a simple social and wealth status, but it also is a symbol that women feel honored to obtain. I personally have always thought that wearing the veil is something Middle Eastern women didn't like and was forced upon them. Now that I read this it's clear that the women feel honored to wear the veil and respect what it stands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment