Monday, March 2, 2009

Marriage is a Partnership

In societies where a person must fend for themselves in every way, where the government does not supply a people with basic needs, I could see marriage based solely on romantic love to be a risk. I think it's hard for us Westerners to see it like that, because we all carry the notion that you should marry the person you love and not just the person you need. I whole-heatedly agree to that, but in a society where you have to fend for yourself, now I'm just guessing, but it would seem that instinct rather than love would have to drive one to marry. I don't think it necessarily means that they would have to sacrifice happiness. One must merely find a mate who can help in your survival. You need someone who will contribute, not burden.

The ironic part is I think even us Americans look at it that way, too. We just tend to put more emphasis on the love part. But love comes in many shapes. Marriage is, after all, a partnership. And in that sort of society, where ones relies on relatives to help you survive, you need a partner who can walk the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment