Wednesday, March 4, 2009

didn't some dude in Europe marry a vegetable?

Traditional views of marriage in America is based around "love" and respect. What i notice more times than not is it is based on an idea of love and respect, not so much the actual love and respect. I have a friend that just got married to his long-time girlfriend whom he kind of hates, alot. He married her because they both have decent jobs and have a good financial agreement. In other societies where marriage is based around the stability of the community it could be just as viable as a marriage in America which is loosely based on an infatuation that can and will dwindle. If an arranged marriage helps to support the stability between two warring communities it is a legitimate thing.

As for having children without being married, I think it is becoming more common in America because of many reasons. I don't necessarily believe a marriage has to be legally consummated in order to raise children in a proper household. My aunt is a lesbian with a woman she has been with for almost 30 years and they have a grown child who is relatively well-adjusted. I don't believe in marriage as much as I should i guess.

3 comments:

  1. In societies pretty much all around the world a person must fend for themselves “To each it’s own”. In so many situations marries is a “lose-lose” situation for the following reasons. You could have love and decide to get married; now a huge percentage of marriages go bad do to financial reasons. On the other hand you could get married for financial benefits but lack love and at some point feel like you’re in your marriage for all the wrong reasons and well pretty much unhappy with your life. This could go in so many ways and it all depends on the persons involved. Considering the cost of living, Corrupted government system and job loss people just want to feel like they have someone who will be by their side and live a happy live regardless of income.
    This in my eyes is like opening a can of worms because so many things could affect a married to be or the already married couple. The media plays part in people wanting more material things that really are not needed which could cause part of the financial issues that may happen within a marriage so I think for the most part it’s about what the persons are looking for. If you have someone that is willing on being with someone for financial reasons that so be it! They have to remember that that life could mean but they’ll also have to deal with the lack of connection and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Zach I have many married friends that are unhappily married. It may have started off happy but things will go wrong and they usually end up unhappy. The sad thing is that they end up staying in an unhappy marriage due to financial reasons. So even a married couple that is happy could go wrong and not be based on financial status but could end up that way.

    As for a Lesbians and marriage well this one hit home. My mother had 5-children including me with my father that she never married. After my dad had 2-more children with a man she loved but things didn’t work out. She is now in a happy relationship and is not married but had been with her lover for 17 yrs. She’s also a Lesbian and is not married. She would maybe get married I guess if it wasn’t against the law but it’s not what makes her happy nor does it bring or take away any financial issues.

    I for one do not believe in marriage because a piece of paper will not and does not prove my success in a relationship. I feel that two people could be very much in love and happy without marriage. I also feel that you could work out an agreement with someone you might not be 100% happy with but to some extend help each other out and be happy with each other. I guess to some extend I view marriage this way due to my personal experiences and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've notice a weird inverse trend of unhappy married people and happy unmarried people. It may also help in raising a child (for the parents at least) if they don't feel they are being tied together because of the child (I've seen this happen many times). I believe marriage is a flawed institution that forms to make 2 people who are already in love and obligated to each other have a paper that proves as such.

    ReplyDelete