Wednesday, March 4, 2009

we do what works best for ourselves.

My views swing both ways. On one hand I think that the society an individual belongs to definitely has influence on a person's idea of marriage. And on the other hand, it seems that most Americans today make their own decisions on children and marriage because we don't necessarily have a strict social norm. Things are different than they were in say the 1950's or 60's. The stereotypical suburban husband and wife with children isn't what we strive to be anymore. I think today the idea of marriage is based more around financial security and personal belonging. I think that society doesn't want to admit that most people get married today for those reasons, but we all know it's true. I know people personally who had  to of gotten married to their spouse for personal security because there's such a lack of "love" between them. Society can shape your decisions based on where you are located, but for the most part, I think we all just do what works best for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment